I grew up on Kung Fu movies and boxing courtesy of my dad in the late eighties. I know more random Kung Fu movies than names of brands. Although my boxing trivia is rusty there was one boxer my dad loved and always referred back to and that was Muhammad Ali.
The first ever time I saw a fight with Ali or (Cassius Clay before his name change) was some old footage my dad had on VHS of Ali's first ever fight which he won in 1960 against Tunney Hunsaker. My dad was adamant I needed to see things from the beginning. Ali, bobbed, weaved, lightning fast punches and won the match by a landslide.
Having seen a number of Ali's fights it was fascinating then to reflect on those moments conversing with my dad and comparing fight notes.
After the passing of Ali I thought about the many quotable phrases he had which in reflection had great impact and profound meaning to many. This was clearly part of his philosophy to becoming the boxer he was.
Jim Rohn once said "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor to how your life works out" in my study of some of the most successful people on the planet I've found this to be true.
Our response to life is conditioned by the beliefs of who we are, whats possible, whats right, the relationship we have to others, our contribution and much more.
The greatest gift to ourselves begins with exploring those beliefs and discovering those held ideas that may hold us back from greatness in our own area of life.
Here are a selection of my favourite quotes that I believe demonstrated a lot about Muhammad Ali's philosophy of success, life and service.
- Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
- He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
- The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
- Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.
- I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.
- I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want.
- The man who has no imagination has no wings.
- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe.
- Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer.
- It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
Share a quote that reflects your philosophy on life and success in the comments below
If you resonate with what I write Send me a LinkedIn request and or get on my customer growth mailing list where I help key account managers, sales leaders and consultants understand how to deepen their client relations a grow predictable sales from their high value customers. www.jermaineedwards.com
Founder of the Key Account Hack System - New Key Account thinking that transforms customer relationships and creates predictable sales growth.