This weekend I had a series of great conversations about success. Have you ever wondered why some people consistently get better results than others in many areas of life? What’s that all about? Why is it we can perform at work but not have things worked out at home or both? Is this part of success?
It’s a question I considered as I thought about what true success is. Maybe it’s too subjective to answer. I bring this up because in sales or any profession to think you can separate work and life is a myth. Both can and in most cases will have a profound effect on the other.
For me success is holistically looking at my life in 5 categories and asking the question, Are these healthy and growing? If not I take massive action to change or nurture those areas.
- Personal belief – how I perceive myself and my own personal capabilities
- Relationships – connections with family, friends and others
- Finance – are my spending patterns in line with my goals
- Faith – Am I connecting on a daily basis
- Work – am I clear on my why, am I doing the things I’m best at
My goal is to help account managers, key account managers become successful in sales and their client relationships. That success includes, how are you working on success? Success in attitude, in positivity, pro activity or those qualities you want most to come through in your work.
Whatever your definition of success is I want to share 6 ideas that I’ve put in place over time to support helping me move to success. Perhaps you resonate with my definition of success and one or two of these ideas might help you today.
- Get honest about where you are and ask that monthly – What does success look like today? And what might need to change or keep doing?
- Get a mentor or coach to keep you accountable – this one of the best investments I’ve made in money and time – having seen the results in different areas of my life significantly move over time.
- Take time out weekly to Invest in others – This is a necessity in life. I used to be that guy who thought I could do it all alone. That was a fools dream. You need to invest in yourself but others also as it enriches every part of your journey.
- Reframe your relationship with time - decide that the time to take action will always be now and practice that daily.
- Get clear on the goals you want in all areas of life – this will get you focused on what matters most at work and fuel your ability to perform at a high standards.
- Make time for rest and health – I took this for granted as something that just slowed me down. The real reality was not taking the time to do it cost me success. I have morning routines for health and take complete work breaks at the weekend and shut all social media off on a Sunday.
These 6 ideas will be pillars for me in trying to serve at the highest level possible and give my best in all areas of life important to me. I’d encourage you as you consider your job this week in building client relationships and making sales. Also consider how you’re working on success as this will help you achieve greatness in every area of life important to you.
If you’d like to connect with me Join over 100 account management and key account management professionals and look me up at www.jermaineedwards.com or SIGN UP to the Key Account Hack client insight list with others like you wanting to take their client sales to a new level. Click Here